With this document, I plan to record my progress in learning French. I began my studies sometime
in July on 2021. My purpose and motivation of learning is to achieve a minimum level of
proficiency in speaking, listening, reading and writing.
Days of Study :
Currently Reading : Harry Potter A L’Ecole des Sorciers
Last Watched : Dix pour cent (Call My
- My French tutor conducted a reading comprehension test, along with quizzes about the
content. I was able to read and understand it fairly comfortably, without needing
too many hints. He later told me that's a B1 level comprehension test.
- I'm also able to get in ~30-45 minutes of reading a day. Nowadays, it takes
me about 10 minutes to read a page of Harry Potter (while occasionally looking up a
couple of words).
- I'm getting proficient in consumption of French media, though I still find
generation a bit difficult. I'll begin maintaining a journal in French soon. I
manage to speak 2 hours of French with my tutor (who is a Native French speaker)
every week. The vocabulary is there, but the grammar is a bit lacking.
Current Study Plan
- Using the pre-made deck has been great for kick-starting my vocabulary, but I
believe I’m at the point of diminishing returns. I’m going to slowly transition from
using a bilingual pre-made deck to a strictly monolingual
deck of cards that I make myself. I’ll be using a technique called “sentence
mining”. Essentially, I immerse myself in French media, writing and conversations
and everything I don’t understand, I make a flashcard for.
- Duolingo is of very little help, but I keep using it to maintain my streak (and also
see at a glance how many days I’ve been studying for).